Sunday, April 11, 2010

Alexander twice pinalty, Paterson and Elliott scored

**The theme tune of The Great Escape rang out around the KC Stadium before kick-off this afternoon, but come full-time it was Burnley who were celebrating. Not that either side are likely to escape the relegation zone now, the blow of West Ham’s home win effectively putting the kibosh on any lingering hopes of salvation.

Still Burnley will have felt the exhilaration of a win – their first away victory of the season – in a game that Hull, with the slightly better form of the two sides, had been expected to swing. But the pendulum took an unexpected and very decided turn in Burnley’s favour, and after two penalties, Iain Dowie’s team left the pitch looking dazed and confused.

Hull had started the game so confident and bright. Little more than two minutes in and Jozy Altidore chipped a lovely floating ball across goal to meet Kevin Kilbane’s head, the Ireland international putting the ball away to score his first goal in 26 months. What a wait, but what sweet timing.

Burnley’s defence clearly had not learned much since their 6-1 drubbing at home to Manchester City last week. Altidore had a chance to score a second for Hull as he turned the head-bandaged Michael Duff, only for his shot to be parried away by the keeper, Brian Jensen. Jimmy Bullard caught the rebound, but volleyed the ball over the crossbar.

With Hull driving one-way traffic, any chance of a Burnley comeback looked unlikely. But Brian Laws’s side kept chipping away, and all of a sudden the visitors struck gold. Tyrone Mears’s cross came for Martin Paterson who slid the ball under the arm of Boaz Myhill.

In the second half Burnley grew in confidence, Duff just missing a perfect chance to give his side the lead as he failed to convert with Paterson’s cross despite being completely unmarked. On the sidelines Laws drove his head into his hands, doubled over in disbelief, but as the game wore on it became apparent that it was Hull who were falling apart.

Minutes later Dowie could hardly believe his eyes as Ibrahima Sonko brought down Duff, gifting Burnley a penalty. The captain, Graham Alexander, stepped up and slotted the ball home to put Burnley into the lead. Five minutes later and David Nugent raced through, Bernard Mendy panicked and tugged him down. The referee, Martin Atkinson, once again pointed to the spot, and Alexander booted home his second of the day.

Hull attempted a late revival, but deep into injury time it was Burnley who were the strongest, Wade Elliott curling home his side’s fourth goal of the day.

Team Line-Ups:

Hull City: Myhill, McShane (Giovanni 67), Sonko, Mouyokolo, Dawson (Barmby 51), Mendy, Bullard, Boateng, Kilbane; Altidore, Fagan (Vennegoor 74)

Burnley: Jensen; Mears, Duff (Caldwell 85), Cort, Fox; Paterson, Cork, Alexander, Elliott, Flet


Post a Comment